Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Manila Then and Now


Escolta 1800's

Escolta in the 60's
Align Center
Hotel de Orient
The first Hotel in Asia. It is said that Jose Rizal frequented this place. I wonder who owned it? Juan Soler?

Hotel de Orient
The only thing left is the fountain. So sad. What a hideous building it was replaced with.
In my quest to find out more about my roots, I have found several pictures . The pictures of Escolta would show the old location of my DH's Great Grand Father- Juan Soler. He had a store on Escolta - 112 Escolta St. The family sold fabrics and other articles for women and children. Isn't this so like Divisoria where you can find a million and one fabric and other stuff.

I have in my possession a wrapping paper of Juan Soler store that they used to wrap goods. Will post it in my next article.

Enjoy and reminisce.

No comments: